The history of the Danvers Fish and Game Club
In 1944 a blind ad was run in the Salem Evening News that read “A new Fish & Game Club starting with trout pool in mind”. In 1946 our club had 170 members. The Danvers Fish and Game Club, Inc. was incorporated in 1954. Today Danvers Fish & Game Club has over 2,000 members and has a trout pond, 2 skeet fields, 2 trap fields, an outdoor range, a pin range, an indoor range, an indoor archery range, an outdoor archery range and 3D course and a primitive firearms area.
To get to where we are today took a lot of work by many members of the Club. In the ’40’s and ‘50’s the Club held Sportsman’s Shows at the Peabody Institute in Danvers, public auctions at the Masonic temple in Danvers and organized and ran the Essex County Sportsman and Boat Show held at the Topsfield Fair Grounds from 1956 – 1959. The proceeds from these events and other fund raisers enabled the Club to purchase land in 1954 and build a clubhouse in 1961.
Since its inception Danvers Fish & Game Club has promoted conservation, education, safety and sportsmanship. This was possible through the tireless efforts of the Club’s members volunteering their time to help with programs such as Jr. division (small bore rifle), youth archery, youth waterfowl, hunter safety, handgun safety, women’s self defense, Jr. conservation camp, CPR training, new shooters clinics and many more events.
Danvers Fish & Game Club stands proud of their accomplishments throughout the years and will continue its efforts to promote a safe sporting environment for everyone.